Tsonga Shoes: A Tale of Excellence, Craftsmanship, and African Heritage
Discover the rich narrative woven into every stitch of Tsonga footwear and accessories, a tale rooted in African heritage, and sustained by innovation and a pursuit of perfection.
The Tsonga Story
In the late 1990s, amidst a flood of cheap imports, Peter Maree envisioned a brand that stood for quality, authenticity, and African craft. Leveraging the renowned hand-stitching skills of the local artisans in Lidgetton, Tsonga emerged, offering footwear that blends unique African style with unmatched comfort.
Today, from the heart of the Kingdom of the Zulu, Tsonga stands as a beacon of success, transforming communities and imparting valuable skills in leather craftsmanship through the Thread of Hope Farm initiative.
The Craftsmanship Behind Every Pair
Delve into the meticulous process behind the creation of every Tsonga pair:
- Design: Inspired by African elements, our designers craft conceptual hand-drawn designs, evolving through stages of prototyping and fine-tuning to reach perfection.
- Clicking: At the outset of production, experts cut and shape the upper half of the shoes, ensuring optimal utilization of the high-quality leather sourced from Gold & Silver status members of the Leather Working Group.
- Assembling: In the hands of up to 30 skilled artisans, the individual pieces come together, adorned with hand-cut, embossed, and laced unique pieces, adding that magical Tsonga touch.
- Sole Creation: Running parallelly is the crafting of the shoe's sole, molded with premium materials and paired with a soft memory insole for unparalleled comfort.
- Hand-Stitching: In a distinctive Tsonga tradition, local artisans hand-stitch the upper and sole, bringing flexibility, lightness, and comfort to the footwear.
- Finishing: The shoes undergo a final shaping, setting, and quality check, ensuring they carry the proud Tsonga signature of quality and style.